Monday, February 21, 2011

The Adorable Neatnick

I guess I'll start off by explaining this word "neatnick." I have been using this word my entire life, as has my mother, referring to a person who has a propensity for keeping organized and is generally "well unto her household ways," quoting poet Edna Jacques. I always felt my grandmother, whom I affectionately called Tutu, was a neatnick. And to have a nice memory of her at this moment is serendipitous as today was her birthday. So to call my son an adorable neatnick just seems natural at this moment. I certainly hope he takes after Tutu in many ways. When it comes to his toys we have simple rules that help him keep the mess under control and, at least, off the floor to prevent theft and chewing by our dog. But when I happened by his desk and toy area yesterday I had quite a pleasant surprise. Not only was it clean and tidy, but it was impeccably organized down to each little star wars figure and zombie finger puppet poised and about to wage war.


Here is a wonderful photo of Tutu with my son a few years ago before she passed away. She would have been 86 years old today. Miss you, love you Tutu. Happy Birthday.

No comments: